April 25, 2024, 06:27:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Claisen Condensation  (Read 1143 times)

Offline billystark

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Claisen Condensation
« on: April 11, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
Hello, I am trying to come up with a synthetic pathway for this molecule using only the Claisen condensation reaction, and I can't seem to manage. Any help?

Offline OrganicH2O

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
Re: Claisen Condensation
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Claisen condensation forms a C-C bond. You just have to think: where in the product can the C-C bond be identified, based on the special relationship between the two functional groups that is created by the process? Also, this looks like a double crossed Claisen between two molecules that both contain two esters. the first Claisen links them together, and the second Claisen forms a ring.

Technically there are probably two possibilities: one involving a ring formation, and another with carbonate esters as the electrophile. Maybe the ring formation is better, and they don't always teach the carbonate ester version in introductory classes.
I have a Master's in organic chemistry and I am exposed to a LOT of different introductory organic chem classes in the course of my work, ranging from very basic to Harvard. I am here to refine my knowledge and consult with other organic chemistry nerds.

Sponsored Links