April 19, 2024, 02:25:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the Final Temperature?  (Read 1469 times)

Offline bigbenz

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the Final Temperature?
« on: April 14, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »
Hi. This is part of our problem exercise in CALIBRATION OF CALORIMETER.

My question is...

What is the final temperature in the given picture and graph? Obviously, the initial temperature is 26.7 but sever people are telling me that the final temperature is 28.8 despite not being the last temperature value recorded? the last temperature recorded is 28.6, so shouldn't be 28.6 be the final temperature? or is it 28.8?

Please help thank you!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 09:49:59 AM by bigbenz »

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: What is the Final Temperature?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »
Calorimeter measures heat released by the chemical reaction (for example - combustion, neutralisation....). But - calorimeter is not 100 % isolated from the surroundings. That is why some heat of the reaction is lost - depending on construction of the calorimeter and temperature of the surroundings (lower temperature means that the more heat is lost). In case of accurate measurement difference in max. temperature and final temperature (0,2 C) can be used to deduce degree of the lost heat.

In my opinion you are somewhat right, because they asked you to write "final temperature", when they should ask for write "maximum temperature" to calculate ΔT.

Offline Orcio_87

• Mole Snacks: +39/-3
Re: What is the Final Temperature?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 01:07:43 PM »
This is NOT a type of accurate measurement, so final temperature = max. temperature (28,8 C).

Sponsored Links