March 28, 2024, 02:24:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate deactivation  (Read 2595 times)

Offline CrazyGoat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate deactivation
« on: April 25, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »

Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate, 98+%

I am using it as lewis acid for a reaction...

I will open the bottle in a glove box under argon and quite dry...

I will use a little and close the litter bottle again.

Once the rxn is finished... I will add dry baking soda to neutralize.

then I will open the glove box put the bottle in a cool and dark place and quench the rxn with isopropanol alcohol

my questions here:

1. how much baking soda I will need to neutralize or inactivate 5 ml of Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate?

2. is it safe to open the glove box after 20 min of stirring the baking soda and the DCM/ 3 boron solution?

3. Is it safe to close the bottle under argon and that it is... then I can put it in any place or they have some kind

of a lid that once you open it won't get well-sealed again?

4. Once unactivated may I use water to remove the Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate?

I AM SO SORRY. !!! I know this forum is not for this... but I beg you for some help as I am really doing this.

I wish you could let me an answer son as I am doing this experiment asap.  infinite thanks to you.

Offline CrazyGoat

Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate, 98+%

I am using it as lewis acid for a reaction...

I will open the bottle in a glove box under argon and quite dry...

I will use a little and close the litter bottle again.

Once the rxn is finished... I will add dry baking soda to neutralize.

then I will open the glove box put the bottle in a cool and dark place and quench the rxn with isopropanol alcohol

my questions here:

1. how much baking soda I will need to neutralize or inactivate 5 ml of Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate?

2. is it safe to open the glove box after 20 min of stirring the baking soda and the DCM/ 3 boron solution?

3. Is it safe to close the bottle under argon and that it is... then I can put it in any place or they have some kind

of a lid that once you open it won't get well-sealed again?

4. Once unactivated may I use water to remove the Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate?

I AM SO SORRY. !!! But I need some help, this is a dangerous thing!!

I wish you could let me an answer son as I am doing this experiment asap.  infinite thanks to you.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Mod Edit

your duplicate post have been merged into one post
check forum rules

Offline CrazyGoat

Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate deactivation
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:27:30 AM »
 I am doing an organic reaction using Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate

my question is, how do I  :rarrow:deactivate :larrow: this compound once the inert reaction has been done?

what do I need to do in order of opening the inert blanket and start separating the boron trifluoride from the organic layer (for example with water) without any danger or reactivity that could affect the solution?

what do I need to do in order of opening the inert blanket ⚠️ and start separating the boron trifluoride from the organic layer exposing it to ⚠️⚠️OXIGEN ⚠️⚠️

I was thinking of adding baking soda and stirring it for 20 mins prior to opening the inert and dried environment 😂😂😂

Thank you very much I wish you can help me.

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Boron trifluoride diethyl etherate deactivation
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 07:03:23 PM »
BF3 is not stable to water, will turn into HF andfluoroboric acid, both soluble in water. Just take reaction out of the glove box and dump it into stirring water and do your extraction, with precautious for small amount of HF (use a little base on first wash perhaps and dont get aqueous layer on skin).

Sponsored Links