Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Mysterious Isomer of Bromo-3-methylpentane

(1/4) > >>

mucker973:
I am studying chemistry at uni and I had a question which asked me write the skeletal formula of all 3 isomers of the above compound. I worked them out myself, then I went and researched them on the net to confirm I was correct. But I came up with a 4th isomer myself and can't find the flaw in my logic. I cannot find this 4th isomer anywhere on the Internet so I am confident I am wrong in this, but I just want someone to explain to me where my logic is flawed. Here are the facts what I was presented with:

chemical formula: C6H13Br

first isomer - 1-Bromo-3-methylpentane

This has the Br element hanging off the end of the chain
second isomer - 2-Bromo-3-methylpentane

This has the Br element hanging off the 2n or 4th carbon
third isomer - 3-Bromo-3-methylpentane

This has the Br element coming off the 3rd carbon in the opposite direction of double carbon branched chain.

I came up with a 4th, it is the same structure as the 3rd isomer but instead of the Br being where it is there, I had it on the opposite side - at the very end of the C-C branch.

Why is this not a valid isomer?

mucker973:
I bit more context to anticipate some answers. I know the opposite has a CH3 there. My understanding is that you can just replace one H with a Br though (which is what is done for all other isomers)

Borek:
You mean like that?

mucker973:

--- Quote from: Borek on May 01, 2022, 08:55:55 AM ---You mean like that?

--- End quote ---
yes

Borek:
Can you list the question exactly as it was asked? C6H13Br has many more isomers, for some reason all you listed have one tertiary carbon, which makes me think we are not told everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version