March 28, 2024, 04:15:59 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Truth statements regarding Water-Wine puzzle  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Nitrogen Sulfide

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Truth statements regarding Water-Wine puzzle
« on: May 05, 2022, 07:54:23 PM »
"I have 2 bottles, one containing water and the other containing wine. I pour one measure of wine into the water bottle. I then pour an equal measure from the water bottle back into the wine bottle. Both bottles are analysed and it turns out that there is just as much water in the wine as there is wine in the water."

Based on this phenomenon, which of the following have to be true to make this possible? (More than one can be right)

1) The bottles are the same size.
2) The water and wine are thoroughly mixed after the measure is poured into the water bottle.
3) The wine and water have to be thoroughly mixed after the measure is poured back into the wine bottle.
4) The wine has the same density as the water.
5) The water and wine are miscible.
6) None of the others have to be true.
7) It is impossible to be certain that there is just as much water in the wine as there is wine in the water.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Truth statements regarding Water-Wine puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 03:00:36 AM »
Please read the forum rules. You have to show your attempts at answering the question/solving the problem to receive help, it is a forum policy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Nitrogen Sulfide

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 12:29:07 AM »
Oh I see, sorry was in a bit of a rush with this one.

Ok so my guess is that: The bottles do not have to be the same size as long as both bottles contain the same volume of both liquid.

I am unsure wheteher the water and wine have to be thoroughly mixed after each measure is poured into each bottle.

I am not sure whether the wine has to have the same density as water, but I am thinking it does not matter because we are measuring only the composition of each liquid in the end. Water and wine has to be miscible.

I do not think that statement 6 and 7 are correct.

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 06:44:35 PM »

Sponsored Links