March 29, 2024, 07:58:30 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: what are possible chemicals coming out from the newsprint / magazines?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline shvcko99

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
When we touch or rub newspaper, our fingers will be dirty, what are those chemicals?

Even though without touching it, it is easy to find some special smell from the newspaper, what are they?

With enough ventilation, could those chemicals go away on its own? Will it contaminate food if put nearby?

I'm planning to keep A LOT OF newspaper and magazines home

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Boy some of the questions we get here...

Well, I had to look it up but it seems a lot of Newspapers these days (they still exist?) use Soy Ink. Who knew? Otherwise, the inks use a petroleum based.

You may find this article interesting/useful.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline shvcko99

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
Boy some of the questions we get here...

Well, I had to look it up but it seems a lot of Newspapers these days (they still exist?) use Soy Ink. Who knew? Otherwise, the inks use a petroleum based.

You may find this article interesting/useful.

The article in your link is dated in Nov 1998. Is the information still up to date?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Even if not 100%, new inks are rather safer than the old ones, safety regulations are getting more and more stringent.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links