Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

Does heat almost always facilitate chemical reaction?

(1/2) > >>

shvcko99:
My first question is: Is the term "heat" usually the same as or implying "high temperature"?

Does heat (or high temperature) almost always facilitate chemical reaction?

Is there any chemical reaction you can think of will proceed better or even only start at low or very low temperature?

Borek:

--- Quote from: shvcko99 on June 05, 2022, 02:36:04 AM ---My first question is: Is the term "heat" usually the same as or implying "high temperature"?
--- End quote ---

Yes (although these are two different concepts).

--- Quote ---Does heat (or high temperature) almost always facilitate chemical reaction?
--- End quote ---

The higher the temperature, the faster the reactions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_equation

--- Quote ---Is there any chemical reaction you can think of will proceed better or even only start at low or very low temperature?
--- End quote ---

Sometimes running reactions at low temperatures helps avoid interfering reactions, thus facilitating making of the desired product.

shvcko99:

--- Quote from: Borek on June 05, 2022, 03:29:38 AM ---
--- Quote from: shvcko99 on June 05, 2022, 02:36:04 AM ---My first question is: Is the term "heat" usually the same as or implying "high temperature"?
--- End quote ---

Yes (although these are two different concepts).

--- Quote ---Does heat (or high temperature) almost always facilitate chemical reaction?
--- End quote ---

The higher the temperature, the faster the reactions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrhenius_equation

--- Quote ---Is there any chemical reaction you can think of will proceed better or even only start at low or very low temperature?
--- End quote ---

Sometimes running reactions at low temperatures helps avoid interfering reactions, thus facilitating making of the desired product.

--- End quote ---

I have some processed foods and drinks which are not supposed to be stored or served frozen but I foolishly kept them in the freezer section and they have become kind of solid, I am wondering if there could be any unexpected reaction that causes problem to those food because there are many different addictive  or regulators in those food or if I have over thought for something that doesn't exist. Thanks again for answer

Corribus:
There are some rare cases where the rate of product formation decreases with temperature, but you probably don't need to worry about them. In chemistry there are always exceptions to every rule.

Regarding your freezer question, it depends on what you mean by "problem". In most cases there won't be a safety issue but quality of the product can definitely change due to certain physical processes that can occur during freezing (precipitation, crystallization, evaporation). These processes can affect texture, color, and water content. "Freezer burn" is one you've probably heard of. Also if you've ever frozen and thawed a banana, you know what I mean.

Borek:
Chemical reactions in the food are between last things to care about. What typically matters is a microbial decomposition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version