March 29, 2024, 07:34:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about "Alcohols, C12-15, ethoxylated"  (Read 2979 times)

Offline ReleighAyom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about "Alcohols, C12-15, ethoxylated"
« on: June 13, 2022, 01:00:18 PM »
Okay, so I used one of those laundry detergents containing mentioned chemical, the thing is, the washer didn't fully drain my clothes. When I took my clothes out, they were soaking wet, and I attempted to squeeze some out and others I didn't bother.

Is this safe to put in the dyer on high? Or is this a fire hazard, or am I just getting worked up?

Mind-you, I do have OCD, and tend to obssess over small things, but better to be safe than sorry.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Question about "Alcohols, C12-15, ethoxylated"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 01:48:28 PM »
They were soaking wet with (rinse) water or soaking wet with detergent/water?

If it's just water I wouldn't say it's a fire hazard but if they are soaking wet it's just going to take forever. First because there's a lot of water and second because they probably won't tumble properly. Why don't you just spin the wet clothes again in your washer (unless it's broken), or, failing that, hang them in a well-ventilated space the old-fashioned way?

If there's still detergent I would probably put on a rinse cycle again.

Also wringing (twisting) clothes to get rid of excess water is really hard on the fibers that make up most textiles because you subject them to intense tensile forces. If you squeeze textiles to dry them, make sure not to also twist. It is probably the worst thing you can do to fabrics.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ReleighAyom

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 01:55:47 PM »
They were soaking wet with (rinse) water or soaking wet with detergent/water?

If it's just water I wouldn't say it's a fire hazard but if they are soaking wet it's just going to take forever. First because there's a lot of water and second because they probably won't tumble properly. Why don't you just spin the wet clothes again in your washer (unless it's broken), or, failing that, hang them in a well-ventilated space the old-fashioned way?

If there's still detergent I would probably put on a rinse cycle again.

Also wringing (twisting) clothes to get rid of excess water is really hard on the fibers that make up most textiles because you subject them to intense tensile forces. If you squeeze textiles to dry them, make sure not to also twist. It is probably the worst thing you can do to fabrics.

Thanks for the reply.

To answer the first part, I could still smell a "bit" of detergent, or at least something, it wasn't scentless soaked, I wasn't near the washer for over an hour. I'm gonna assume there's still "some" detergent, though it wasn't bubbling or anything. I used one of those Walmart-brand laundry pac/Tide Pod-ripoffs, I put four in total because it was, sort of a heavy load and the Walmart-brand pods are smaller/lighter than the Tide, which is to be expected when dirt-cheaper.

Yeah it seems like my washer is malfunctioning, prolly gonna have to get customer support on that.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 02:30:46 PM »
If it went thru the rinse cycle I wouldn't worry to much about it. Since it didn't complete, there is probably some residual detergent. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've never heard of a dryer bursting into flame because of residual detergent.

But I don't think it will be easy to dry fully soaked clothes. The dryer relies on good airflow through tumbling clothes and soaked clothes just won't do that. If you can't spin cycle, I'd probably just hang them for that reason. Although they'll probably be stiff and not comfortable depending on how much detergent is left and the hardness of your water.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline ReleighAyom

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 03:51:26 PM »
If it went thru the rinse cycle I wouldn't worry to much about it. Since it didn't complete, there is probably some residual detergent. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've never heard of a dryer bursting into flame because of residual detergent.

But I don't think it will be easy to dry fully soaked clothes. The dryer relies on good airflow through tumbling clothes and soaked clothes just won't do that. If you can't spin cycle, I'd probably just hang them for that reason. Although they'll probably be stiff and not comfortable depending on how much detergent is left and the hardness of your water.

Alright, thank you! Whew, you saved me lots of anxiety.  ;D

Sponsored Links