March 28, 2024, 06:02:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SiO2 + HF Reaction Dynamics, Products, and Intermediates?  (Read 1783 times)

Offline ga360

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
SiO2 + HF Reaction Dynamics, Products, and Intermediates?
« on: July 13, 2022, 12:52:53 AM »
Dear friends and colleagues,
My team and I have been conducting research on the potential to perform a reaction involving SiO2 and Hydrogen Fluoride to create H2O and SIF4. Specifically we are interested in the H2O so we could then extract the oxygen via electrolysis and then react the hydrogen with SiF4 to get our Hydrogen Fluoride back along with silicon. Now that the Hydrogen Fluoride is present at the end of the reaction, we can redo the reaction all over again with a new batch of SIO2. The reactions are written out below.
4HF + SiO2   :rarrow:  2H2O + SiF4
2H2O   :rarrow:  2H2 + O2
SiF4 + 2H2   :rarrow:  4HF + Si
However this reaction seems to have the issue where SiF4 quickly hydrolyzes before the Electrolysis can begin, to form H2SiF6. Thus the desired chain of reactions can not commence. Are you aware of any ways to mitigate this problem or are able to point me towards relevant literature on this matter? If I am misunderstanding the reaction dynamics please correct me. All feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Georgiy Aleksanyan

Original Post Can Be Found Here: https://www.researchgate.net/post/SiO2_HF_Reaction_Dynamics_Products_and_Intermediates

Sponsored Links