March 28, 2024, 06:20:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What exactly is the change in boiling point between soft and hard water?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline JackB34

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • High School Chemistry Student
As the title says I would like to know what exactly the boiling point change is between soft water (<80ppm) and hard water (it doesn’t really matter what ppm just as long as the ppm is given).

I am currently conducting an experiment to test the difference in properties between soft, hard and very hard water. Unfortunately as this is part of a year 11 test we were unable to procure very hard water so I have to use theoretical results. I have attempted to find a more exact statistic regarding the correlation between a water samples higher ppm and it's higher boiling point but have been unable to find anything more than a general agreement that there is a correlation. If anyone has an exact or semi-exact number regarding how much the temperature increases for a water sample with 200ppm that would be fantastic. If someone has a similar figure for a different ppm that would be equally helpful.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Have you tried to calculate this? 
Even for very very hard water the increase in boiling point is going to be much less than 0.1°C.   

Offline JackB34

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
  • High School Chemistry Student
I'm happy to calculate it and did attempt to do so I'm just not exactly sure where to start as I don't really have any point of reference. It did occur to me while writing this that I may be able to use the boiling point of sea water and find the increase in boiling point from there by calculating how many ppm cause a degree of difference.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
I'm happy to calculate it and did attempt to do so I'm just not exactly sure where to start as I don't really have any point of reference.

Note that you won't get a single, simple answer, as there is no simple relationship between water hardness and solution composition. Solutions containing 2.6 g of dissolved CaSO4 per 1 L and 1.8 g of MgCl2 per liter have the same hardness, but different boiling points because of different van 't Hoff factors.

ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links