March 28, 2024, 06:40:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nomenclature question  (Read 1401 times)

Offline znaes97

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Nomenclature question
« on: July 21, 2022, 01:51:03 PM »
Hello,
I am reordering chemicals for our lab and we need potassium fluoride p. a. What does the p.a. mean? I tried searching, but all the results were related to protactinium (chemical symbol Pa). Additionally, the procedure calls for solid potassium fluoride, but our supplier only has it in liquid form or potassium fluoride dihydrate. Would this be acceptable to use? Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +148/-10
Re: Nomenclature question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 02:03:35 PM »

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 03:50:09 PM »
p.a. means pro analysi. Its a grade of purity. Chemical which are  pure enough to do analysis with them.
The water free KF is also available.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/DE/de/search/potassium-fluoride?focus=products&page=1&perpage=30&sort=relevance&term=potassium%20fluoride&type=product

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
Looks like I was beaten to it by Hunter2 as I was writing... I shall post anyhow.

Hello,
I am reordering chemicals for our lab and we need potassium fluoride p. a. What does the p.a. mean? I tried searching, but all the results were related to protactinium (chemical symbol Pa). Additionally, the procedure calls for solid potassium fluoride, but our supplier only has it in liquid form or potassium fluoride dihydrate. Would this be acceptable to use? Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

To my understanding, p.a. is a chemical grade (like USP, ACS, BP etc.) broadly equivalent to AR (analytical reagent) grade and is sometimes, but not always prefixed by the terms 'puriss' depending who you buy the stuff from. I think its the equivalent of AnalaR (VWR), GR for Analysis (Aldrich) or Certified AR (Fisher).

I was always under the impression that it comes from the German 'Pro Analysis' but I'm willing to be educated if I'm wrong...

If your procedure calls for solid KF, then you probably need to use solid KF - The stuff is pretty readily available I would imagine!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 04:05:49 PM »
I was always under the impression that it comes from the German 'Pro Analysis' but I'm willing to be educated if I'm wrong...

Not quite correct, but close, it comes from latin language "pro analysi". Especially used by pharmacists.

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 04:57:17 PM »
Thanks Hunter...

Always nice to learn something new.

R

Sponsored Links