March 28, 2024, 11:44:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrochloric acid 35% and 3% hydrogen peroxide  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Southbound

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hydrochloric acid 35% and 3% hydrogen peroxide
« on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:32 AM »
Hi,
I need information on is it safe to mix hydrochloric acid 35% and 3% hydrogen peroxide?  I work with this strength of muradic acid all the time, for cleaning masonry work, but not at the full 35%.
Anyways have a  vertrifed aluminum oxide sharpening stone that's full of embedded metal swarf that i am trying to dissolve the particles. I poured straight 35% in a plastic container with lid outside, with gloves and all safety precautions and its been in there for 2 days and some of the steel particles are dissolved but not good enough. So would adding 3% peroxide make this acid stronger or weaker?  I read it makes  peracetic acid, but i don't know much about it.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Hydrochloric acid 35% and 3% hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 05:04:40 AM »
  I read it makes  peracetic acid, but i don't know much about it.

Don't do things which you don't know. Peracetic acid is made of acetic acid and peroxide. What do you mix  ( hydrochloric acid and peroxide) will develop chlorine and probably kill you. A strenger etching agent is it also.

Better is to mix sulfuric acid 100 g/ l and peroxide 30 ml /l 32% and add only a small amount chloride approx. 100 mg/ l as catalyst.

Offline Southbound

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 01:10:56 PM »
This application is for copper. Stainless steel works different.

Offline Southbound

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 03:17:30 AM »
This application is for copper. Stainless steel works different.

If i may, could i ask another question?

I actually made a (weaker, with 3% peroxide) piranha solution, outside in a glass jar, i didn't cover tightly with a sealed lid, but only layed a peice of sheet metal over top.  And i did it at the far end of my large yard. Anyways, its eating most all the embedded steel , i haven't checked it in hours aluminum oxide/corundum aren't effected or dissolved by pretty strong acids. All i am trying to to is dissolve all tye embedded steel particles embedded into the stone.I read somewhere if you take out something from an acidic solution (especially if its porus) and you add only the porous item to almost boiling water, then that would increase the acidity content of the almost boiling water more. Is this true?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 03:27:21 AM »
It is always better to start a new thread for a new question.

Basically you are asking if letting a sponge soak in a solution and moving it to another jar will transfer some of the solution to the other jar. The answer is an obvious yes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Southbound

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 05:10:43 AM »
It is always better to start a new thread for a new question.

Basically you are asking if letting a sponge soak in a solution and moving it to another jar will transfer some of the solution to the other jar. The answer is an obvious yes.

Okay thanks. No chemist here, but i am only asking questions for my own safety and others as well.
So if my solution set for a day, is it safe to heat the solution over moderation of heat in a closed, but no sealed container? Would this make this previous solution stronger?
I don't think it would dissolve a vetrifed aluminum oxide/corundum stone, but it may eat the rest of the steel particles. IDK?

Thanks again
Mike

Sponsored Links