March 29, 2024, 02:03:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is it a fire hazard if some Lysol spray gets into window AC unit?  (Read 2559 times)

Offline ReleighAyom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
As I mentioned in another post of mine, I get very over-paranoid thanks to my OCD but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

The spray itself was a generic Walmart brand version of Lysol, but still, it has been labeled as "flammable", do not expose above 130 F or under heavy pressure and etc.

So I was attempting to kill a couple house flies, and accidently got some into the window AC unit since they were flying around it, I wouldn't just up and say it's a "puny nearly non-existent amount", I immediately stopped but still - there was enough amount of that went it through the vents and stuff to make me concerned.

The AC wasn't on but still, but I don't wanna turn my unit on anymore, I'm kinda of afraid some of it may cause something within the unit itself, maybe the compressor or the condenser to cause a fire.

My AC unit's an old General Electric, so I'm not really familiar with the inner workings of an AC unit to cough off an answer myself.

Thanks in advance.

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Is it a fire hazard if some Lysol spray gets into window AC unit?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 01:16:40 PM »
its probably already evaporated.

Offline ReleighAyom

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:35:20 PM »
its probably already evaporated.

Thanks, I had a strong feeling that once dried, it loses its flammability. I might give it an hour or two just to REALLY make sure!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 09:51:41 AM »
Sprays are among the worst fire hazards as they mix finely with air. Having played extensively with fire as a kid and a teen, I'd basically not use any spray indoors - or fist check the spray composition, the varied locations it may accidentally reach, and so on.

That said, after few minutes the spray isn't a mist any more but a layer, and if you don't smell it any more, don't worry.

Sponsored Links