March 28, 2024, 06:31:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Dissolving Quartz  (Read 3308 times)

Offline SteveE

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Dissolving Quartz
« on: August 15, 2022, 07:01:08 PM »
Hello All.

How would I go about dissolving 8 to 10 grams of quartz off a gold in quartz specimen? I'd like to use hydrofluoric acid but that's impossible for me to obtain.

Any help would appreciated.

Steve

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: Dissolving Quartz
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 07:06:53 PM »
Realistically HF is the only way. There are some ways you cam generate HF in situ but ymmv.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline SteveE

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 09:45:13 AM »
If you have some ideas on this, I'd like to know. You can PM if you want.

Offline SteveE

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
I found another way
 Already have the sodium hydroxide so this should be a cinch.
https://youtu.be/_1yNfsYMy1A

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 10:17:27 AM »
If you seek gold as a material, independently of its shape and initial alloying elements, gold might be easier to dissolve than quartz. It would also need less solvent than the more abundant quartz.

After crushing the gold-containing quartz, many liquid metals will dissolve gold but not quartz. Do not use mercury not lead as their vapours are toxic, but tin, bismuth or the galinstan alloy could be a choice.

Offline SteveE

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »
I certainly don't want to dissolve the gold. I simply want to remove some of the quartz to improve the aesthetics of the specimen.

I would post a picture of a finished specimen but doesn't look like I can do that.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 03:08:31 PM »
I would post a picture of a finished specimen but doesn't look like I can do that.

Shouldn't be a problem if the image is not too large. Click on Additional Option... below the edit field, then select Attach/Choose file.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline SteveE

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 10:51:28 AM »
I found another way
 Already have the sodium hydroxide so this should be a cinch.
https://youtu.be/_1yNfsYMy1A

After dissolving in sodium hydroxide I'm left with a brown residue on the bottom of the stainless steel beaker. I'm trying to figure out the safest way to dispose of it.. Does this process form another chemical or is it still sodium hydroxide and silicone dioxide ,plus some impurities?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »
In general SiO2 dissolves in NaOH producing just colorless metasilicate. But I doubt the rock was just a pure SiO2, so I would expect impurities. Could be what is left is not exactly what was present in the rock though, it could react with the NaOH as well.

I admit I am a bit surprised NaOH is that effective. While I would never keep NaOH in glass bottle to avoid etching and contamination, I would also never expect it to easily eat through.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 10:35:39 AM »
If you leave glassware in base bath (KOH and solvent) for weeks, it does get etched.. a little. But yeah I would not predict it to be effective at total digestion of silica. Although, my experience is at room temperature.

We've been trying to do zeolites lately with acid digestions and it doesn't work very well (not surprising at all). I've resisted going the HF route. Maybe I should try some KOH solution on our microwave digester.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline SteveE

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »
Hello

I have more specimens I'd like to dissolve quartz off of.

I'm having trouble trying find a corrosion resistant stainless steel 150 ml beaker with a lid. A crucible with a lid would work as well.

I've been looking at some of the scientific supply websites and haven't found anything. Just wondering if anyone knows off hand where I can find one. Not asking someone to do research on my behalf. Perhaps someone owns a scientific supply store here in this forum and has one for sale.

Thanks

Offline RisingEastStar17

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
  • I also frequently browse/post on r/TheeHive
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 05:31:15 AM »
Quartz is almost entirely comprised of silicon oxides and trace elements such as berrylium, gold, copper and zinc. I would definitely use hydrofluoric acid or some super acid. So really, there is no other alternative.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2022, 10:56:58 AM »
I would definitely use hydrofluoric acid or some super acid.

Nope, super acids won't help. Hydrofluroic is effective not because it is an strong acid (actually it is quite weak), but because the reaction produces volatile SiF4.

Sponsored Links