Specialty Chemistry Forums > Other Sciences Question Forum

Finding CO Leak

(1/3) > >>

JJ Campbell:
I have a small plane and there is CO leaking into the cabin.  I have a CO monitor and I can keep the level down to zero. Unfortunately, to do this I have to keep the two small portals in the side windows open. In the Summer this is not too bad but, in the Winter, I get very cold and uncomfortable.  For the last two years during my annual conditional inspections the aircraft mechanics have looked for and corrected any exhaust leaks they could find, or thought were suspect.  Sadly, the problem persists, and temperatures are dropping.

My question: is there anything (preferably an aerosol spray) that can make this invisible gas visible?

Borek:

--- Quote from: JJ Campbell on October 11, 2022, 04:06:26 PM ---My question: is there anything (preferably an aerosol spray) that can make this invisible gas visible?

--- End quote ---

As far as I am aware: no.

Enthalpy:
I wouldn't use a spray. Gas detectors exist, they are specific to one gas, you can buy the detector alone or with the associated electronics, simple (galvanometer output) or less (interface with a computer).

Then you let the detector sniff all parts from close distance, beginning with the exhaust pipes.

JJ Campbell:

--- Quote from: Enthalpy on October 22, 2022, 11:26:53 AM ---I wouldn't use a spray. Gas detectors exist, they are specific to one gas, you can buy the detector alone or with the associated electronics, simple (galvanometer output) or less (interface with a computer).

Then you let the detector sniff all parts from close distance, beginning with the exhaust pipes.

--- End quote ---
The only CO detectors that I can find are like the one I have which displays the PPM in my cabin.  I need something that will help me pinpoint the leak.  Is there a leak in the exhaust system?  Where? Is it exhaust gas that should be just harmlessly blowing away but is getting in the cabin? Where is the leak in the cabin?  None of the CO monitors that I have found can do this for me as far as I can tell.

Borek:
I am afraid the only solution we can suggest is to use a portable detector (preferably with a sensor on a cable) and - on a running machine - patiently check every possible point. I am not aware of any other approach and lack of answers from others suggests they aren't aware of such a thing either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version