March 29, 2024, 09:12:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can I boil away water from a copper (II) sulfate pentahydrate and water solution  (Read 1209 times)

Offline jasian

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In our crystal growing lab, our water was not distilled and we need to remove it from our solution. How would I go about removing the water? Would evaporating the water by boiling it work? I don't want to remove the water molecules and make it anhydrous.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Are you saying you want to remove water from your grown crystals? I would gently filter it (or decant it) and collect your crystals that way. Copper sulfate pentahydrate loses a lot of its bound water at pretty low temperature.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline jasian

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Are you saying you want to remove water from your grown crystals? I would gently filter it (or decant it) and collect your crystals that way. Copper sulfate pentahydrate loses a lot of its bound water at pretty low temperature.

I want to recover as much solid as I can, then discard the undistilled water. So far, we are just letting it rest overnight with a paper towel on top so that the water evaporates away at a low temperature.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Just filter the crystals out.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links