April 19, 2024, 07:40:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Natural ligand for transition metals?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Cantacoxinha

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Natural ligand for transition metals?
« on: November 14, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »
I'm looking for an organic compound or a class of compounds naturally present in bodies of water (lakes, seas) which might be able to bind transition metals. So far I was able to find only humic acids as an example. Any suggestion on some other compound? Or a good book or a review on types of organic compounds of natural origin in aquatic ecosystems?

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
Re: Natural ligand for transition metals?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 10:31:46 PM »
The number of compounds is pretty much too numerous to count... but an easy one would be all the various porphyrins

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2022, 05:38:03 PM »
Citrate is a possibility, although it would not surprise me to learn that it is labile to microbial uptake.  Siderophores are likely to be present, as well.

Offline phth

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-4
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 01:30:42 AM »
Researchers spent many moons figuring out ligand-metal equilibrium constants in aqueous media through electrochemistry. Very useful database with tens of thousands of ligand-metal combinations to my recollection. Check out this database: https://www.nist.gov/srd/nist46
Many publications not listed in SciFinder, for example. There were 5 thousand ish ligands for the metal I was interested in. as a function of pH which was very useful for the aqueous system IMHO. Imagine being able to screen 5,000 ligands and choose the best one...

Sponsored Links