Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Does metallic iron dissolve in water?

(1/4) > >>

sharbeldam:
There is this supplement called " spatone " which is basically water with Fe+2.
How do they get it? im sure matallic iron should not dissolve in water if its not acidic etc, but i still wonder how do they get that water with the ions, the source must be Fe(s).

In another experiment that Im doing to check for how fast iron gets oxidized, we put a rod of iron in solution that contains K3Fe(CN)6 (that kinda acts as an indicator), but for that compound to react with the iron, iron needs to becomes Fe+2 first which is very confusing to me.
How does Iron becomes Fe+2 in that solution?

Hunter2:
Do you know rusting of iron. Iron ist also an inoble metal, Fe => Fe2+ + 2 e-, E0 = -0,44 V. Together with oxygen it will be dissolved in water. But it takes some time.

sharbeldam:
I understand what you are saying, but what im asking isnt related to rust, im just talking about being dissolved, so basically the reaction you typed, it has a negative value, so it shouldnt be spontaneous, or it can happen very slow, so if we put a rod of iron in the water, it will become Fe+2 very slowly?

Hunter2:
Correct, but in nature iron dont appear as a metal. So rivers and lakes with high iron content came from iron compounds  already containing iron Ions. Metallic iron is man made.

Aldebaran:
Regarding your comment about the standard electrode potential being negative and therefore not spontaneous: notice that the equilibrium is written as a reduction of the 2+ ion . If instead you start with metallic iron the value for the oxidation reaction would be reversed thus + 0.44 v. This supports our every day experience that metallic iron in the presence of oxygen and water rusts (oxidises) . Iron oxides can react with acids and form various salts one of which is iron(II) sulfate which I believe is what is present in “spatone”.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version