Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

How to generate common names for new organic compounds

(1/2) > >>

Babcock_Hall:
I would like to name some new compounds with common names.  I want to be as systematic and consistent as possible.  Are there guidelines or instructions on how to do so somewhere?  I realize that one could use IUPAC names, but I was trying not to, for the time being.

sjb:
For what purpose are you wanting these new names? Do they need to be eg human or machine read? Is something like BH-AAAAA1-A useful?

Babcock_Hall:
As a general rule, I find common names can bring a picture of the structure into my mind more easily than the IUPAC names.

hollytara:
Think about the ones you know - sometimes it is what it looks like (cubane) or where it came from (toluene). 

But you can call it "Babs" if you like!

Babcock_Hall:
There are some molecules that we are making that are glycosides on one end and phosphonates on the other.  On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I want to name them as glycosides.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I want to name them as phosphonates.  Plus there is a sulfide or sulfone in the middle.  I am trying to generate names that students can use in research reports that give some indication of the functional groups without becoming cumbersome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version