Specialty Chemistry Forums > Materials and Nanochemistry forum

Increasing melting point of Water

(1/4) > >>

ME_BOG:
For a project I would like to create a large amount of a substance with water-like properties (melts from pressure and has low friction) but that is solid at room temp. and atmospheric pressure. Ideally it should have a melting point between 20 and 50 degrees Celsius.

One way I've read this could be done is by mixing it with a salt past the eutectic point, for example, 90% water 10% MgCl2, according to the following graph: (mod edit: image attached).

Will this work or do I need a catalyst or something complicated for it ?

Are there any other alternatives ?

Borek:
Can't think of anything that would make the idea completely off at first sight. But there are many fine prints, the only way to check if it works as expected is experimental.

mjc123:
It would not be solid at room temperature. Mixtures melt over a range. If you heat a 10% mixture, it will start to melt at temperature D, and become completely liquid when the vertical line y = 10% crosses the thick line (what you may be thinking of as the "melting point").

Enthalpy:
Some pure metals too melt more easily under pressure, or equivalently, expand when freezing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Materials_that_expand_upon_freezing
Gallium melts in the sought temperature range. Antimony and bismuth need higher temperatures, but eutectics exist. Gallium has known alloys and eutectics (with indium, tin, or both: "galinstan") that melt more easily.
I didn't check the friction coefficient of gallium. Antimony is known to ease alloys gliding (or make it sounder).

Enthalpy:
Ice fusion under pressure is a common explanation for its low friction under skate blades or skis.

Experiments with gallium under proper pressure would bring more data for or against this theory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version