April 24, 2024, 07:58:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Citric Acid Solution Leaves White Residue - Any Ideas on How to Eliminate It?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline zl

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi,

I am a physician (it's been many years since my college chemistry classes) and currently working on developing a safer brand of cleaning/disinfecting wipes than the standard wipes using quaternary ammonia. I am particularly interested in using citric acid due to it's safety for humans and the environment, but also because it has been showed effective and EPA approved against many pathogens, including COVID-19.

I had been working on diluting solid food grade citric acid in distilled water at different concentrations. I started at 6% by weight and most recently went down to 0.6%. When this solution is used to clean/disinfect a surface then left to evaporate, it always leaves a whitish residue.

Is there ANYTHING that can be done to eliminate this residue? Is there another chemical I can add to the mix that will mitigate this residue?

Thank you in advance!

Z

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
White resude is most likely just the citric acid itself, it is not volatile so it is left after everything else dries out. No, there is no way to make it evaporate with other things.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Citric acid is a white solid compound, so will precipitate when the solvent is removed. Its highly soluble in water so you could wipe it off easily with a damp cloth or wipe, but then you need two wipes.

Sponsored Links