Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum

NaH dispersed in mineral oil (200%)

<< < (2/2)

rolnor:
200% is not correct in any posssible way. Stupid or typo.

Enthalpy:
Apologies for interrupting...

Experiments in 2019 have shown a degree of danger previously unknown from NaH in several solvents, especially DMSO. The sensitivity and the force of the explosion weren't suspected. Impressive pictures with less than 14g, rather 0.5g NaH.
  pubs.acs.org - science.org

Older papers ignore it hence don't mention it. So be cautious.

I'm completely away from anything I believe to understand here, so I can be utterly wrong.

Babcock_Hall:
"The hazards associated with the thermal decomposition of chemically incompatible sodium hydride solvent matrices are known, with reports from the 1960s detailing the inherent instability of NaH/dimethyl sulfoxide, NaH/N,N-dimethylformamide, and NaH/N,N-dimethylacetamide mixtures."

"The dangers associated with NaH/DMSO mixtures were evidenced by an explosion during the ARC analysis that was forceful enough to displace the ARC housing."

Enthalpy,

I mentioned this problem in an earlier comment, and I am glad that you are highlighting it.

rolnor:
Thats scary, I have used g-quantities of NaH in DMSO and DMF, even heated it with a heating-gun...  Whats the mechanism, is it red-ox or nucleophilic attack somehow? Free radical?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version