March 29, 2024, 10:15:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility Curves Help  (Read 913 times)

Offline Coristat

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility Curves Help
« on: May 13, 2023, 02:34:39 PM »
I need help with a solubility curves worksheet. I need my answers to be checked as I'm not sure.

1. a) ~57g
1. b) ~52g
1. c) ~39g
1. d) ~37g
1. e) ~3g

2. a) Unsaturated
2. b) Unsaturated
2. c) Supersaturated
2. d) Unsaturated
2. e) Supersaturated

I'm not sure how to do #3, 4, 5. I'm fine with #6.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Solubility Curves Help
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2023, 06:41:07 PM »
No idea how you are expected to tell which solutions are supersaturated in 2 - unless you are told "everything is dissolved". But you aren't.

1 looks about right.

2a is OK. bcde - check them over. Only valid answers are saturated/unsaturated IMHO.

3. Not sure where the problem is. You can read how many grams can be dissolved per 100g of water, in 200g of water you can dissolve twice as much, in 50g just half - and so on.

4. Read solubilities at different temperatures given - when you lower the temperature some of the solid has to crash out. Just subtract.

5. How many grams of KClO3 in a saturated solution at 10°C? At 30°C? How much do you miss?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jeffmoonchop

• Mole Snacks: +37/-5
Re: Solubility Curves Help
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »
Technically, the solubility curves should have metastable limit curves to know if the solutions are fully dissolved. The metastable band widths would be different for each solute. So for the purpose of the question, assume the teacher doesn't know when rapid precipitation and subsequent equilibration to saturation will occur and answer supersaturation.

Sponsored Links