April 16, 2024, 06:56:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 8760 times)

rj1027

Where do I start?
« on: September 26, 2004, 04:00:33 PM »
In the copper smelting business the main ore that is processed is CuS. The ore is crushed to a fine powder and the CuS separated by floatation. The finely divided CuS is then placed in a crucible ( assume it is adiabatic) and air is blown through it. This converts the CuS to CuO. The CuO is then transferred as a melt to a second crucible and propane is blown through it.
a) What amount of heat, per ton of CuS, is required to melt the CuO in the first crucible?
b) What are the products of the second reaction and what is AG for the reaction? c) What are the by products of the airl CuS reaction and what are the
environmental implications (support your answer with chemical equations).

???

Tetrahedrite

Re:Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 01:07:15 AM »
I do not know where the question comes from, but it is incorrect. By far and away the most common copper ore is chalcopyrite CuFeS2, followed by Cu1+ sulfide (Cu2S) chalcocite. As for the answer to part a) I'm not sure but in part b) the propane acts as a reducing agent for the CuO and presumedly forms elemental Cu, CO2 and H2O.
part c)Obviously the release of CO2 contributes to global warming (if you believe that) but a more importantly the oxidation of sulfur containing compounds form SO3 gas ie CuS + 2O2 >>> CuO + SO3
The SO3 is released into the atmosphere and when it comes into contact with water you get acid rain ie SO3 + H2O >>> H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) quite nasty!

rj1027

Re:Where do I start?
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 08:26:20 PM »
Thank you

Sponsored Links