April 20, 2024, 02:20:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to can ı make a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol?  (Read 2250 times)

ink555

Hi, it may sound dumb if I fill half of the bottle with distilled water and the other half with isopropyl alcohol, will I get a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol? Or do I need to do something else as well? I will use this mix to clean my monitor. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: How to can ı make a 50/50 mix of distilled water and isopropyl alcohol?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 03:45:48 AM »
Ignoring some nitpicking (50/50 is ambiguous, as it can be 50/50 volume by volume or weight by weight, these are different things) yes, mixing equal volumes of water and isopropyl alcohol will produce a solution good enough for the intended purpose.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

ink555

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 08:13:01 PM »
Ignoring some nitpicking (50/50 is ambiguous, as it can be 50/50 volume by volume or weight by weight, these are different things) yes, mixing equal volumes of water and isopropyl alcohol will produce a solution good enough for the intended purpose.

I think by saying 50/50, the user manual says there should be an equal amount of water and isopropyl alcohol. In other words, imagine that I have a 500 ml bottle. In order to create a 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol, I should add 250 ml water and 250 ml isopropyl alcohol into that bottle.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 03:19:39 AM »
I think by saying 50/50, the user manual says there should be an equal amount of water and isopropyl alcohol. In other words, imagine that I have a 500 ml bottle. In order to create a 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol, I should add 250 ml water and 250 ml isopropyl alcohol into that bottle.

That's what I referred to by "mixing equal volumes", 250 mL is identical to 250 mL ;) And that produces solution that is said to be 50/50 by volume.

But: approaching the problem this way there is no guarantee you will get 500 mL of the solution, most likely you will get a bit less, which makes the situation a bit awkward.

If you mix 50 mL of A and 50 mL of B and you get 100 mL then the meaning of 50/50 is obvious. But when you mix 50 mL and 50 mL and you get 98 mL it is not. Where is the missing 2 mL?

For most practical applications it doesn't matter, for precise calculations it is quite important.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links