Chemistry Forums for Students > Inorganic Chemistry Forum

Which reactions are taking place?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cogujada:

--- Quote from: Hunter2 on March 10, 2023, 04:55:28 AM ---Methoxyethanol also called Methylglycolether is only solvent.

--- End quote ---

I've been thinking, what do you think about this?

Zinc Acetate dihydrate hydrolizes:
Zn(CH3COOH)2 + H2O  :rarrow: Zn(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH
Then, both methoxyethanol and monoethanolamine condensate
Then we have a transesterification reaction between methoxyethanol and monoethanolamine (which have condensed previously)
Finally, we have a reaction of the zinc hydroxide with the compounds formed in the previous stage (transesterification), forming ZnO in a organic sol-gel matrix. Because I heat the solution, that organic matrix progressively evaporates, leaving a more viscous gel.

Do I have any stage correct?

Hunter2:

--- Quote ---Zinc Acetate dihydrate hydrolizes:
Zn(CH3COOH)2 + H2O  :rarrow: Zn(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH]
--- End quote ---
Need alcaline environment.  Is  ethanolamin strong enough?

--- Quote ---Then, both methoxyethanol and monoethanolamine condensate
Then we have a transesterification reaction between methoxyethanol and monoethanolamine (which have condensed previously)
--- End quote ---
Condensate to what and how? Which transesterification? There is no ester. Reaction with acetic acid needs water free environment. Sulfuric acid  as water Catcher and catalyst.

--- Quote ---Finally, we have a reaction of the zinc hydroxide with the compounds formed in the previous stage (transesterification), forming ZnO in a organic sol-gel matrix. Because I heat the solution, that organic matrix progressively evaporates, leaving a more viscous gel.

--- End quote ---
What evaporate?  Glycol ether need 126 °C boiling temperature .

cogujada:

--- Quote from: Hunter2 on March 10, 2023, 06:16:19 AM ---
--- Quote ---Zinc Acetate dihydrate hydrolizes:
Zn(CH3COOH)2 + H2O  :rarrow: Zn(OH)2 + 2CH3COOH]
--- End quote ---
Need alcaline environment.  Is  ethanolamin strong enough?

--- Quote ---Then, both methoxyethanol and monoethanolamine condensate
--- End quote ---
Condensate to what and how? Which transesterification? There is no ester. Reaction with acetic acid needs water free environment. Sulfuric acid  as water Catcher and catalyst.

--- Quote ---Finally, we have a reaction of the zinc hydroxide with the compounds formed in the previous stage (transesterification), forming ZnO in a organic sol-gel matrix. Because I heat the solution, that organic matrix progressively evaporates, leaving a more viscous gel.

--- End quote ---
What evaporate?  Glycol ether need 126 °C boiling temperature .

--- End quote ---

Maybe it is strong enough. pH after 2 h of aging was about 10.

Ethanolamine condensates to amino ethoxy ethanol 2 [NH2CH2CH2OCH2CH2OH]
Methoxyethanol condensates to MeOCH2CH2OCH2CH2OMe

Both then react? Don't know mate...

With reference to the evaporation, although water's boiling point is 100 °C, if you heat it till 70 °C it will evaporate partially at least.

Hunter2:

--- Quote ---Ethanolamine condensates to amino ethoxy ethanol 2 [NH2CH2CH2OCH2CH2OH]
Methoxyethanol condensates to MeOCH2CH2OCH2CH2OMe
--- End quote ---

Even this will not happen. To get an ether by condensation you need extremly conditions.

cogujada:
Well then I have absolutely no idea about which reactions are taking place  ??? ???

Thanks by the way mate!  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version