Consider FIVE types of solids:
Covalent Network (Quartz, SiO2)
Polar Molecular (sugar, C6H12O6)
RECALL THE PHYSICAL PROPERTIES -> hardness, brittleness, the conductivity of electricity and heat, melting and boiling points, solubility in water, etc.
1. Design an experimental procedure to test these properties with the procedures below.
-> the ones I have so far
- ionic solids -> use NaCl and dissolve in water to test the solubility
- conductivity - by putting the solid under two free ends of the wire
-> solubility - using boiling water for all as ionic solids break into ions & conduct electricity
- brittleness - using a hammer or any other form of stress (if brittle, tends to break under stress)
- hardness - using a hydraulic press/Rockwell testing
- melting/boiling point - add heat to a sample after placing in a beaker or test tube to test
SOME OTHER THINGS WE CAN USE (but I'm unsure as to what we can use it for): a thermal camera
2. WRITE A HYPOTHESIS for ONE TYPE of solid with a brief explanation.
-> I'm having some trouble with where to start for this?
3. Design a Table of Observations for your experiments.
-> I'm unsure as to how to do this??