March 28, 2024, 02:58:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Jobs/Pay  (Read 30342 times)

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Chemistry Jobs/Pay
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 08:12:23 PM »
Geo, where did you get those numbers?  I think that they should be higher than that....

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 09:27:29 AM »
Movies: i got those number from my biochemistry lecturer who finished his PhD in USA in 2000. What are the latest figures?

If anyone thinks I'm biased, I study chemical engineering at university FYI.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 09:28:41 AM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 04:10:33 PM »
The numbers do seem a bit low, but Chemical Engineers always make more money then Chemists.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 02:31:57 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't questioning the order there Geo, I just thought that PhD chemists were more in the range of 70-80k (in industry, not academics) whereas ChemE PhDs were more like 80-90k.  I'm not certain though and I don't know where to find the latest numbers.  The ACS might list them, but I'm not an ACS member....

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 02:48:11 AM »
You should become an ACS member. ::) Let me refer you that way I get entered into a lottery type thing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2005, 02:49:30 AM by Mitch »
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 03:32:08 PM »
Well go ahead and refer me then!  I've been meaning to sign up anyway.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 04:15:54 PM »
You should become an ACS member. ::) Let me refer you that way I get entered into a lottery type thing.

LOL. Mitch always like abit of perk in doing things.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

JSchultz

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 07:11:56 PM »
holy cow, this thread picked up again!

For those currently in the phD program, how is it? excruciatingly hard? how about the MS in Chem program?

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 08:28:05 PM »
For me, my life is pretty much exclusively about doing lab work.  I think that the investment ion time is worth it though.  I've certainly learned a lot since being in grad school....

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 09:30:14 PM »
I'm personally sick of grad school, but thats an other matter.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

MonkeyGirl

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 01:29:01 AM »
Hi Everybody,

I just came across this forum tonight, and I like it!  Anyways, maybe my recent experiences will give you an idea of what to expect.

I graduated with a B.S. in chemistry in 2003.  I have had a tough year, largely because the job market is slim.  I worked for a while as a QC chemist, but found that the schedule/job description was less than satisfactory.  Now I am working as a QC chemist with a different company, and I am lot happier.  The pay is nothing special, but not too bad for a fresh college grad.  From what I can tell, jobs for B.S. chemists vary quite a bit.  Obviously, you can't expect to be head of a research lab, but I do think you can make a decent career as chemist.  As with anything, I think your success and happiness will depend on what you want and how hard you are willing to work.  

I think I have been dissappointed because I haven't been offered many jobs, but I believe with even a year or two of experience things get easier.  

My advice:  Start looking early and try to find internships while you are in school.  I don't believe a chemistry degree would be a mistake either way.  You learn a lot, and most likely you will be able to find a job that utilizes your skills.  

Fat Elvis

Just saw this too
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 07:20:58 PM »
And thought I'd make a quick comment. 50K is a bit low for a starting phd. Heck, I started at 52K, but that was mainly because I got my job through a headhunter (more like wallet-hunter). The job market isn't great, but it's much better than it was in the mid 90's when I was in gs. Mainly, it takes patience to find a job, but there are jobs out there now. I work with chem-e's, and many of them do plenty of chemistry, and some pretty cool stuff. It just depends on where you work, and what you're doing. I do think that their salaries are 10-15% higher on avg, but that's mainly anecdotal.
Cheers.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2005, 03:16:13 PM »
Geodome, I wouldn't give advice on getting a Chem E PhD, especially since the poster said that he wasn't interested in ChemE.  It seems that all you're after is money.  If that is truly all you're after, then go into business.  If not, then go with what you love.
  Chem Es do make more money than chemists.  Honestly, though, they're nothing but glorified mechanical engineers.  In my experience, they do little chemistry, and a whole lotta flow rate problems and math.  I'm in Chemistry because I love it.  I love working in a lab.
  Getting a PhD in chemistry is difficult, there is no question about that.  It takes a tremendous amount of time.  If you get a BS in chemistry, though, even though your job prospects may not be that great when you first get out (i.e., pretty much QC jobs and working for big chemical companies like Aldrich), you can get into a lot of different grad programs.  If you're a decent (not even good or spectacular) chemist, you can get into most Materials Sceince PhD programs and be stellar because of your knowledge.
  Anyway, the Chem PhD is truthfully a real b$*%(.  It is a requirement for getting any faculty positions, and will help with becoming a director of a research/development team.  Most of the job prospects depend on which type of chemistry that you go into.  If you're in organic chem, you have a lot of prospects in the pharmaceutical industry, for example.
  If you have any further or more specific questions, feel free to ask.  I don't know if you're planning on pursuing a grad degree, or what your plans for your career are.  What would you like to do?  Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?

JSchultz

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 10:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.

MonkeyGirl- how were you doing financially once you were fresh out of college with a BS in Chem? You said you landed a job in QC, which is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I just want to know what Im up against.

HMX- As far as going on down the road, I prefer to get a degree in Chemistry and utilize the knowledge in a skills specific job. Chemical Research is not really my thing, as I have no desire to seek out anything. I hear of people working to find solutions and answers to current conditions or problems, using their skills in chemistry, and that is not what I want to do.

Continuing education into the MS and PhD is not really for money, but rather to better my education. I think as Chemists that's what we're all really after. After all, Chemists deep down chose this because it intrigued them and they needed to find out why exactly it did that, how it works. Im interested to see what you know about utilizing a PhD in Organic Chemistry to move into Pharmaceuticals. what can you tell me about it?

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 07:16:21 PM »
Actually, I try and stay as far away from pharma as I can.  It bores me.  I make energetic materials, and hope to work in that industry eventually.

I'm glad that you know what you want to do.  That's a big help when deciding on a career.  If you're looking for a QC job, you should be good with a BS or even a BA in chemistry.

Sponsored Links