April 18, 2024, 05:00:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Pharmaceutical Technology  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Bea

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Pharmaceutical Technology
« on: May 29, 2023, 06:49:46 PM »
Hello everyone!

Please help me with this preparation:
Finasterid 0,5%
Propylenglykol 10,0%
Hydroxyethylcellulose 1,0%
Ethanol 70% ad 100,0 g

I really tried in countless ways but (I think because of the high concentration of alcohol), the hydroxyethylcellulose doesnt dissolve completely and you can always see some very small clumps (which is simply the Hec that didnt absorb water). I tried to use hot water/cold water, tried to prepare the "alcohol-part" and "water-part" separately and then mix together but nothing worked out!
Please help me, I really need to be able to prepare this for an exam!

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Pharmaceutical Technology
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 02:52:48 AM »
Sonication?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Bea

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 04:17:38 AM »
Sonication?

It's a pharmacy lab, we dont have that here unfortunately

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 04:19:48 AM »
in addition to using something like a blender or Sonication

will grinding up the hydroxyethylcellulose while dry prior to mixing work  (mortar and pestle )

after mixing are you allowed to filter out the non dissolved pieces.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:44:43 AM by billnotgatez »

della9

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 06:18:48 AM »
Adjust the order of mixing: Instead of adding HEC directly to the mixture, try adding it gradually while stirring continuously. Start by mixing the Finasterid, propylene glycol, and ethanol together until well combined. Then, slowly sprinkle the HEC into the mixture while stirring vigorously. This method can help prevent clumps from forming.

Pre-hydrate the HEC: Another approach is to pre-hydrate the HEC before adding it to the mixture. Dissolve the HEC in a separate container of water, ensuring that it absorbs and disperses fully. Once the HEC has formed a gel-like consistency, you can gradually add it to the mixture while stirring continuously.

Increase agitation time: If the above methods still result in clumps, try increasing the duration and intensity of the stirring or mixing process. This can help break down the clumps and promote better dispersion of the HEC.

Use a different solvent: If all else fails, consider using a different solvent or combination of solvents that may be more compatible with HEC. You can experiment with alternative solvents such as glycerin or polyethylene glycol (PEG), which are known to have good solubility with HEC.

Sponsored Links