April 19, 2024, 07:35:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Glycerin mist toy, what is it in the fog/mist?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Will Tension

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Glycerin mist toy, what is it in the fog/mist?
« on: April 02, 2023, 02:36:17 PM »
Hi.

Just bought my kid a magic mixie toy today, it stand that it have vegetable glycerin to make mist/smoke, it should not be harmfull for humans,

I start to wonder if it’s bad for electronics like pc and tv? Could it be current conducting or cause corrosion?

It made a lot of mist in the living room that covered the pc and the tv too, just wanted to ask, what is it really in the mist that comes out?

The moisture inside the machine itself taste very sweet and was sticky, but the mist that comes out feels dry.

Could it be only water vapor or do it contain chemicals too inside this mist that we got in the appartment?

After use i opened the door for fresh air.

Here is a link to the product if you want to see what it is :)

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/fashion-and-dolls/magic-mixies/magic-mixies-pink-magical-crystal-ball/p/210511

Appreciate some answers

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Glycerin mist toy, what is it in the fog/mist?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:25:01 PM »
Just glycerin, should be safe. No, it is not a good conductor so should not short circuit anything.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Will Tension

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »
Just glycerin, should be safe. No, it is not a good conductor so should not short circuit anything.

I have no idea about chemicals but im happy to get the answer from someone that know.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 07:19:15 AM »
Electronic apparatus is very sensitive to short circuits, even if their resistance is high. For instance the keyboard of a laptop is sensitive to little atmospheric moisture.

I don't know the composition of the mist. Is it glycerine nanodroplets? Then they have or will absorb humidity as glycerine is hygroscopic, and conduct electricity. Not enough to blow the fuses, but enough to let electronics malfunction. It's a matter of time and deposited amount, hard to predict.

Offline Will Tension

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 04:40:20 PM »
Electronic apparatus is very sensitive to short circuits, even if their resistance is high. For instance the keyboard of a laptop is sensitive to little atmospheric moisture.

I don't know the composition of the mist. Is it glycerine nanodroplets? Then they have or will absorb humidity as glycerine is hygroscopic, and conduct electricity. Not enough to blow the fuses, but enough to let electronics malfunction. It's a matter of time and deposited amount, hard to predict.

I have no idea what it is, it just stand the refill have vegetable glycerin as ingredient.

If im not wrong i think it remove water in air and make it dryer.

I dont think it was too high humidity for it to be bad moisture for electronics but more about what really is in this mist and could it be something making the inside of a pc to be corrosive/taken damage from the indegredient from the mist?

So it make me confused, does this mist conduct electic units or making damage?
Is it same as electronic cigarettes?

We only used it a couple times inside the livingroom and the smoke passed the tv and pc once and we had the door open. Question would be if it could make damage to elecric components or if it’s a safe product, ammount of smoke is like if you sucking on a electronic cigarette 4-5 times sucking in and blowing out from it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 05:24:12 PM by Will Tension »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 04:22:21 AM »
Glycerin, and yes, it is the same thing as with electronic cigarettes. Even better, as in electronic cigarettes glycerin contains additives that won't dry up if deposited, glycerin - while not very volatile - should eventually dry up.

While I agree with Enthalpy that in some rare cases glycerin fog can interfere with electronics that would be extremally unlucky case. Glycerin fog is routinely used in many clubs where electronic instruments/screens/amplifiers and so on are used, apparently it doesn't pose any problems with these things.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Will Tension

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 04:29:42 AM »
Thanks for clearing things up.

Yes so i guess small ammount here and there is no harm done with good ventilation too :)

della9

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 05:04:34 AM »
vegetable glycerin, which is used to create the mist or smoke effect, is generally considered safe for humans. However, I noticed that prolonged exposure or ingestion may have different effects, so it's always wise to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Regarding the mist's impact on electronics like your PC and TV, it's unlikely to cause direct harm, such as conductivity or corrosion. The mist generated by the toy is typically water-based and should evaporate without leaving behind any residue. However, it's advisable to keep a safe distance between the mist and your electronics to minimize any potential risks.

As for the composition of the mist, it's difficult to provide specific details without referring to the product's official documentation or contacting the manufacturer directly. The mist is generally a combination of water vapor and other substances that create the visual effect. While it may have a sweet taste and feel sticky inside the machine, the mist itself should be primarily water vapor and not contain harmful chemicals.

Sponsored Links