April 28, 2024, 01:02:44 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Your Future Company's First Drug  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Your Future Company's First Drug
« on: June 12, 2023, 11:07:01 AM »
Hello you all! A bottle in the Ocean here...

In case someone wants to create a pharmaceutical company, or expand the portfolio of an existing company:

I wish Tritoqualine were still available. It's an antihistamine, against allergies.
  en.wiki - fr.wiki

It acts against allergies by preventing the production of histamine, instead of blocking the receptors. It is the only drug acting this way, as far as I know.

It acts in 10mn, not 2h.  Avoids unnecessary consumption. In case of a Quincke syndrome this can save lives. It doesn't let sleep, contrary to the other available antihistamines, and I tried quite a few ones.

Tritoqualin still has all certifications and allowances to sell as a drug. Just, the manufacturer stopped it, for obscure reasons. The molecule is known, its synthesis too, in the very old French patent FR 1.295.309 (not on Internet).

I just ignore how much money it can bring nor why the production stopped. When still available, Tritoqualine was well known and of good reputation.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
Re: Your Future Company's First Drug
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 09:39:09 AM »
Its a weird molecule with that C(sp3)-C(sp3) bond in the middle. Was it just administered as a mixture of diastereomers? It also looks like it'd oxidize pretty easily in- or ex-vivo. Thanks for sharing - I'd literally never heard of the molecule before!

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »
Hi Clarkstill, thanks for your input, always glad to meet you!

I don't know more about the molecule than a standard user does. I kept some for many years and they look like new. Only used them as a male adult, hence not pregnant.

==========

The manufacturer is Chiesi S.A. and they still exist
  chiesi.com
but "Hypostamine" and "Tritoqualine" return zero hit by their search engine nor by google over chiesi.fr nor chiesi.com. Looks like they just abandoned the molecule around 2012. Everything must be in the public domain.

Googling
  Tritoqualine Chiesi
gives still 340 hits after a decade. If I search and read properly, the drug agencies changed nothing to the certifications
  French Ansm
Windfall opportunity?

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »
Often when a drug is no longer manufactured it has some disadvantage to newer drugs. Its an interesting drug, wikipedia says it has no known adverse effects

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritoqualine

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:18 PM »
That's quite possible. But I've used tritoqualine for years without noting them, and I tried so many antihistamines after it disappeared...

Meanwhile bilastin doesn't let me sleep, but it's not very efficient, and it takes 1h to act. Only tritoqualine acts in few minutes.

The molecule structure is from Wiki. Stereo indications can be missing, for instance because whoever made the drawing didn't know how to type them or didn't care.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »
The presently fashionable antihistamine, Bilastin, sells as Allegra. It does improve over older receptor blockers, but it must be taken 1h before or 2h after a lunch, strong constraint when you just notice the eyes itch.Tritoqualine could be taken at any time and acted swiftly.

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 05:22:22 PM »
There must be some explanation, is the synthesis expencive maybe? It does not make enough profit?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 03:18:01 PM »
For a producer of both Tritoqualine and a competing molecule, the worse one brings more money.

Imagine: a customer needs only the good molecule in his pocket and uses one when needed,
- OR -
the customer must take the bad molecule every evening of the pollen season to be protected without risk.

But for a competing company that offers no bad antihistamine, this argument doesn't hold.

Sponsored Links