April 29, 2024, 06:21:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How do i know that some chemicals will react?  (Read 1376 times)

Offline hartalinstalin69

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How do i know that some chemicals will react?
« on: August 18, 2023, 05:48:54 AM »
Please don´t hate me I´m a beginner(9th great)
Okay, so I have a simple and complex (maybe) question simultaneously.
How do I know that some chemicals will react?
You know I can learn all the reactions (that's what I currently do) but chemistry is science there should be some start like in math 2+2 then 2*2 and 2² all these are the same but to understand the last one (2²) you have to first understand 2+2 and I just donť see this in chemistry.Is there some simple rule like this?
Thanks for reactions ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
Re: How do i know that some chemicals will react?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2023, 09:31:40 AM »
There is no easy answer. A lot is intuition based on experience. Thermodynamics plays a large role in more systematically predicting whether a reaction will occur. But at the general (high school) chemistry level, where most reactions are fairly straightforward and involve binary compounds, a good place to start is the activity series. If you have not already, you will learn at some point to use it to predict whether reactions between X and Y proceed under certain conditions.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Re: How do i know that some chemicals will react?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 03:05:39 PM »
In organic chemistry, we can look for one atom with a partial positive charge and another atom with a partial negative charge.  As Corribus said, there are no easy rules, but sometimes these two atoms will form a bond.

Sponsored Links