April 29, 2024, 02:11:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can salt water damage diamond?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline pnacze199204

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can salt water damage diamond?
« on: November 05, 2023, 07:46:28 PM »
Is it possible that salt water can damage a diamond to some extent? I found somewhere on the internet an information that a diamond can lose its shine through salt water and I would like to find out what the truth is. I always thought that the covalent bonds in diamond are so strong that basically, at room temperature, no solution can affect its structure. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Offline pnacze199204

Re: Can salt water damage diamond?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 07:48:27 PM »
Here is an excerpt from an article I read on the internet, which I quote: "Unlike water found in rivers, lakes – or even taps at home – the ocean water is salty. While this high salt content isn’t dangerous for all jewelry, it can be catastrophic to others. Diamonds fare poorly when exposed to salt, as these ionic compounds can potentially eat away the fine polish that gives diamonds their gorgeous shine and luster".

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 12:59:58 AM »
Hm.. interesting. Do you have a link to the reference?

Offline pnacze199204

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 04:56:07 AM »
I wouldn't treat site build for SEO a a reliable source of information.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pnacze199204

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 04:56:58 PM »
It has always seemed to me that salt water is unable to dissolve diamond because the carbon atoms are arranged in such a way that the process is quite impossible, am I right?

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 05:57:56 PM »
I see no way that salt water can affect the integrity of diamond surface. Mechanical abrasion seems unlikely, given that diamond is among the hardest substances known; and diamond is incredibly resistant to corrosion.

That said, salt water can leave a residue on the diamond that affects its reflectivity, shine, etc. Such residue could be pretty difficult to clean off. Salt may also corrode the metal surfaces of the jewelry, including the small parts that hold the stone in place. Also, if the diamond has any coating to enhance it's optical properties, they may be prone to mechanical wear or corrosion.  So, as a general rule it's probably a good idea to leave the diamond ring at home when you go swimming in the ocean.

But as the for the diamond itself, I think it's safe from salt water. If I took a diamond ring into the ocean and noticed the surface was worn afterwards, I think you might have to go have a conversation with whoever gave it to you and told you it was a real diamond ;)
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Sponsored Links