April 28, 2024, 02:26:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: First Chemistry Class  (Read 584 times)

Offline unknown_user

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
First Chemistry Class
« on: December 03, 2023, 10:30:34 AM »
In the upcoming spring of 2024, I'll be starting my first college chemistry course, Chemistry I. As a software engineer aspiring to transition to a career in medicine, I'm diligently working on meeting the prerequisites for medical school. In my preparation, I've researched the instructors using platforms like RateMyProfessor and sought advice from a family friend who tutors college and high school students.

Interestingly, it seems that many college chemistry professors opt not to use textbooks, which was not my experience in computer science. The absence of a textbook in the chemistry course is causing some apprehension, a factor I haven't encountered in my computer science background. Considering this, I'm contemplating the idea of acquiring a small camera to record lectures while taking notes. The inability to refer to a textbook, coupled with my 40-hour workweek, is heightening my nerves about effective studying.

With this context, my main query is: How can I excel in a Chemistry class where the use of a textbook appears to be nonexistent?

(I plan on going back full time, as a student, in the Fall of 2024 but I am trying to save up as much as possible before doing so.)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: First Chemistry Class
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »
In general any Chem101 textbook should do, it is not like they can teach you completely different things in different courses, they all have very similar syllabi.

Probably even free Chemistry Online at libretexts will do.

I wonder if the idea of not using textbooks is not related to the fact they are often horrendously overpriced.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline unknown_user

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 04:56:53 PM »
In general any Chem101 textbook should do, it is not like they can teach you completely different things in different courses, they all have very similar syllabi.

Probably even free Chemistry Online at libretexts will do.

I wonder if the idea of not using textbooks is not related to the fact they are often horrendously overpriced.

Awesome! Thank you for your help  :)

I agree they are overpriced, but this makes you solely rely on the professor to get the right information. Almost sounds egotistical for a professor to do that, because not everyone has the same learning style.

But again, thank you! :)

Offline Aldebaran

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 11:11:01 AM »
Have a good look at www.chemguide.co.uk
It is the best online ‘textbook’ I’ve come across pitched at university entrance level. I’m guessing you may be in the USA but don’t let the .co.uk put you off. As Borek says chemistry is chemistry.
Chemguide is free and carries no advertising. It is written and curated by a well qualified human being! No AI here. All my students really rate it as supplemental to their classes. You’ll leave it behind after your first year of undergraduate chemistry studies however.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 03:59:46 PM »
I wish that students would buy and use the assigned textbook, but a large fraction do not.  Students sometimes gripe about the cost (and may say unkind things on RateMyProfessor), which (all else held equal) makes it less likely that the professor will assign a book.

Sponsored Links