April 28, 2024, 09:10:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Measuring pH of wood chips  (Read 463 times)

Offline Duncan1234

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Measuring pH of wood chips
« on: December 04, 2023, 02:21:18 PM »
Hello guys.  I work in the forest products industry and am needing a regular "pm" or preventive maintenance task of measuring pH of incoming wood fiber.  My question is:

Please could someone share a written procedure (from beginning to end) for testing pH of wood chips?

Also, would the procedure be any different for testing sawdust and/or shavings? 

The chips and sawdust are "green" only the shavings are kiln-dried.

Thank you,

Duncan

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Measuring pH of wood chips
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 03:05:46 PM »
In general there is no such thing as a "pH of wood" - at least not in a direct sense, just like there is no such thing as a "pH of a soil".

What typical procedures do is they ask for mixing the solid with water and measuring pH of the sludge. Trick is procedure has to be well described (amounts and things like waiting times, pH electrode placement etc.) and followed, to make results comparable. I am not aware of an established procedure accepted as the "right one", could be the wood industry has something like that (can depend on the country you are in though).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Duncan1234

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 03:17:36 PM »
Borek,

Thank you.  We make composite panels with a UF resin that is sensitive to variation in incoming fiber pH.  Are you able to help me design a pH test to perform on wood chips, saw dust, and planer shavings?  We have a Mettler Toledo F20 Standard FiveEasy Benchtop pH meter with LE438 Sensor.

Anything basic and repeatable is all we are looking for. 

Thanks again.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 04:07:31 PM »
I would start with something similar to the pH of a soil measurement: http://www.ph-meter.info/pH-measurements-other-procedures
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links