April 27, 2024, 05:23:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Products when you react calcium carbonate with acetic acid and sodium hydroxide  (Read 375 times)

Offline tjworle

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I can't for the life of me find the completed equation for this. I know it will look something like:
C2H4O2 + CaCO3 + NaOH -->

None of the online equation balancers give me an answer on this, and I can't find a video for it either. I'm worried if I simply break this up into two equations and add those products, it won't be accurate. Can anyone provide an answer as to what the full equation will be?

thank you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
What are you aiming at?

These are separate processes taking part simultaneously, so there is no way to balance the reaction. Final result will either depend on the relative amounts of substances present, or it will be some kind of equilibrium between several processes - none of that can be described by a single equation, you need set of equations for that.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tjworle

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Ok thank you, I didn't know the masses came into play here, that makes it more complicated than what we've been doing in my lab so far. It was easy to find a balanced equation if I used nitric acid or hydrochloric acid instead of acetic acid, so it was throwing me off.

The masses would be 1.9g CaCO3, 42.77mL acetic acid, and 19.3mL sodium hydroxide. So, do I convert these to mols of compounds to find the relative amounts? And then after that, how would I figure out what all the different possible products would be?

thank you for the reply

Sponsored Links