April 28, 2024, 08:55:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: is high school lab 1M sulfuric acid that dangerous?  (Read 598 times)

Offline selk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
is high school lab 1M sulfuric acid that dangerous?
« on: December 05, 2023, 07:35:39 PM »
Not sure if this belongs here, but I spilled some 1M H2SO4 on my hand in lab today. I washed my hands immediately (after about 30 seconds) thrice, and nothing bad seemed to have happened, so I thought it was okay. (I had no idea it was dangerous since our chem teacher is terrible at teaching, and I didn't tell her about the spill on my hand as she was in a bad mood today and I was scared. I know, it was stupid.) After getting home 45 minutes later I googled it and it said H2SO4 was very harmful. I was confused since the things I saw online were about how it was instantly harmful/corrosive, but it didn't hurt at all for me, just a little dehydrated maybe? I kept my hand under running water for ~3 minutes, just in case. Will it be harmful in the long run or am I being paranoid?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: is high school lab 1M sulfuric acid that dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 03:58:15 AM »
Don't worry. If you washed it away immediately  then it is no big problem. 1 M H2SO4 is 98 g/l
Probably see a doctor to make sure everything is fine.
But next time wear gloves if handling chemical solutions like acid or bases.
I hope you use also goggles, if working in lab. Acid in the eyes makes you blind.

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +530/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2023, 09:53:41 AM »
Since they are primarily corrosives, most mineral acids have only acute effects. Although sulfuric acid is very corrosive, the concentration is an important factor. 1M is diluted quite a bit, so not nearly as hazardous as the concentrated stuff. If you don't see evidence of chemical burns immediately, you will most likely have no adverse reaction. My advice to people who have a small exposure to dilute mineral acids or bases (excepting certain acids that are also toxic like HF) is to rinse your skin extensively and monitor for 24 hours. If you experience anything concerning (bad rash, blisters, etc.), then you should seek a medical professional for burn treatment.

Although diluted acids are not especially hazardous to handle, it is still good practice to wear lab coats, gloves, and goggles when handling them.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline selk

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2023, 08:08:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies, they were very helpful! We do have lab aprons and goggles but strangely we are not given gloves.

Sponsored Links