Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Lab question  (Read 470 times)

Offline nebulaa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Lab question
« on: December 06, 2023, 02:17:09 PM »
Hello all,

I am working on a lab which explores the mass of hydrated vs anhydrous copper (II) sulphate. I have essentially completed the lab, and I've gone over my work three times. At the end, we are asked to complete the formula and the name of the compound which is formed at the end. It is written as:

Round your answer to a whole number to complete the formula of hydrated copper (II) sulphate:
CuSO4._H2O

So, I am meant to fill in the blank with the number I ended up with after my calculations, which was 9. So my result is:

CuSO4.9H2O

Then we are asked to name the compound, which I believe would be named: copper (II) sulphate nonahydrate.

I feel weird about my results, because from google searching, the most common outcome of this is copper (II) sulphate pentahydrate, but, that is not what I got.

I suppose I am asking if the result I got is even a viable compound? Or if it seems likely that I went off somewhere during my calculations?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Lab question
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
If you search Wikipedia.org on Copper sulfate
you will find a link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_sulfate

The first sentence in that page

Copper(II) sulfate, also known as copper sulphate, is an inorganic compound with the chemical formula CuSO4. It forms hydrates CuSO4·nH2O, where n can range from 1 to 7. The pentahydrate (n = 5), a bright blue crystal, is the most commonly encountered hydrate of copper(II) sulfate.

Offline nebulaa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Lab question
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 04:26:46 PM »
Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links