April 28, 2024, 06:07:08 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Manganese dioxide and peracetic acid  (Read 935 times)

Offline codev

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Manganese dioxide and peracetic acid
« on: January 05, 2024, 06:36:12 PM »
First I need to say this is not a formal experiment, Second I'm only here because r/chemistry doesn't let you ask "lab" questions. So here I am.
I came across a denim process online of removing MnO2 stains from fibers using acetic acid, peracetic acid and H202 https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1992013987A1/en . So I decided to try and remove MnO2 crust off of some MnSiO3 minerals I've collected. I don't have peracetic acid, but I read that mixing H2O2 and acetic acid produces peracetic acid? So I just tried acetic acid 5% and H2O2 3% 1: 1 ratio and It worked really well.
 I also tried H2O2 and acetic acid individually as a sort of control, with little to no results. The H2O2 and the Mineral obviously bubbled like crazy because of the MnO2, but the exterior remained covered in MnO2.
All the reactions are just in a jar with a lid placed on top. As to not let in too much O2, but gas can still escape.
I'm just wondering if anybody has an idea what the main products could be? Is the reaction just producing manganese acetate? If so why didn't anything happen in the acetic acid / mineral control? I haven't done chemistry in 10 years, so please go easy on me. Pictures of MnSiO3 mineral before and after.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 07:35:26 PM by codev »

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Manganese dioxide and peracetic acid
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 03:41:28 AM »
What is the oxidation state of manganese in the soluble acetate? And what is oxidation state of manganese in MnO2?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline codev

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 05:05:36 AM »
The oxidation state would be +2 in both cases. Although im not sure if thats acctuly the pathway the reaction takes. Its just what made most sence to me.
I did some more reading on the google patent paper i posted https://patents.google.com/patent/WO1992013987A1/en. On one of the tests they performed, they say " "Formulation 6C was unusual in that stain began to clear up and then both the solution and the sample turned purple indicating the formation of the permanganate ion". So if permanganate is present then the oxidation state is +7.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 05:49:28 PM »
The oxidation state would be +2 in both cases

Nope. Recheck MnO2.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links