April 28, 2024, 02:51:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Use of various metal hydrides in synthesis of vanillin alcohol  (Read 362 times)

Offline NorthWardVale

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Use of various metal hydrides in synthesis of vanillin alcohol
« on: January 12, 2024, 09:31:02 AM »
For a research project, I am attempting to synthesise vanillyl alcohol. In order for me to syntehsize my wanted product, I need to reduce vanillin with a metal hydride. I have been looking into using LiAlH4 and/or LiBH4, but I am concerned about their reactivity with water. The process Im going to attempt involves dissolving vanillin in NaOH, and then using the hydride to reduce it, followed by adding HCl to neutralise it. My concern is the LiAlH4 or LiBH4 will react with the water that the NaOH is dissolved in and/or the water produced during the neutralisation of the NaOH. Is this a valid concern, and if it is, what other metal hydride reducing agents can I get my hands on easily? I need a minimum of 2, as I am planning to use NaBH4 as well and want minimum of 3 options.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Use of various metal hydrides in synthesis of vanillin alcohol
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 09:50:01 AM »
You can not use LiAlH4 because it is very reactive and H - immediately reacts with water to form H2.
But LiBH4 or NaBH4 is not so reactive and I think you can use it for reduction even in the presence of water.

Offline NorthWardVale

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 09:53:46 AM »
What about NaAlH4

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:32:38 AM »
Actually it is BH4 - and it can be with Na+ or Li + and in both ways it is less reactive than AlH4-.

Sponsored Links