April 28, 2024, 03:30:02 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Confusion on heterogeneous equilibrium  (Read 390 times)

Offline ay1

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Confusion on heterogeneous equilibrium
« on: January 14, 2024, 01:58:26 AM »
Please consider the reaction

CaCO3(s)  ::equil:: CaO(s) + CO2(g)

The equilibrium constant Kp at a specific temperature should be equal to a certain value of PCO2 regardless of initial amounts of reactants of products.

However, if I have some amount of CaO in a closed container and add CO2 such that its partial pressure is less than Kp for that temperature, will the system reach equilibrium? What if it is instead equal?

I believe that it shouldn't reach equilibrium since the partial pressure of CO2 wouldn't be able to reach Kp but I'm not sure because I can't imagine how the reaction will proceed if equilibrium isn't reached. To completion?

Thank you
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 02:13:16 AM by ay1 »

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Confusion on heterogeneous equilibrium
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2024, 05:38:26 AM »
I think nothing will happen. If p less as kp it cannot react equilibrium. Its only possible if its higher as kp, so CO2 would react to carbonate to lower the pressure to kp value.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Confusion on heterogeneous equilibrium
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2024, 06:53:27 AM »
Note: assumption that activities of all solids equals exactly one is only an approximation. Quite a good one, but once you try exotic cases and exotic conditions it can fail.

But think about another case: you have an AgNO3 solution and you add some HCl, but not enough to have the [Ag+][Cl-] product reach the Ksp value. Does the AgCl appear? Is there an dissolution equilibrium present? Do you see the analogy?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links