Chemistry Forums for Students > Undergraduate General Chemistry Forum

Request for Help Concerning 3 Acids & Bases Questions

(1/1)

keyag:
Dear ChemicalForums, I hope you can please help me. I tried getting clarification on my professor for one question in particular (the first one attached with the visual beakers), but due to the homework not being due yet (it is due today), he will not help me. The rest of the questions I did not dare ask because I am confident there is no additional clarification to provide.

I have attached all three questions alongside my work in one image file, the answers I selected are in yellow (also there is small text present below some of the images as captions for clarification).

This assignment is due today at 11:59 PM, and if anyone can please help me understand what went wrong and what I have to do to get it right, I would be grateful.

mjc123:
In the third question, why do you talk about NaHSO4 when the question asks about Na3PO4?
The other answers look right, but the computer may be fussy about format. I wonder about sig figs. Are you meant to assume there is an exact integer number of moles, because there is a whole number of balls? Or are you meant to take it as "to the nearest integer", i.e. (e.g.) 9±0.5 moles? And it gets problematic when you take logs. And be careful with words - the answer to part e, for example, is the word "strong", not the phrase "strong acid".

keyag:
Hi mjc123, I appreciate your help.

I am sorry and goodjob catching the mistake. NaHSO4 is the one I got correct answers to, but Na3PO4 is the one I messed up (the answers remain the same).

I asked my professor about visual beaker problem and they said each sphere corresponds to 1 mole.

Lastly, thank you for the word clarification - that is user error but I am sure that I put only "strong" and "weak" respectively.

I do not know what to do at this point. The submission is within 5 hours but I do not know what the proper answers are. May you please guide me?

mjc123:
The answers for NaHSO4 and Na3PO4 are not the same.
Otherwise your answers look right (but check whether you put 1 or -1 for c). I suspect the problem is one of sig figs. If the moles are to be taken as integers, the "1.00 L" would imply 3 sig figs, so I would give the answer to b as 0.111 not 0.1. Otherwise I'm not sure.

keyag:
Thanks mjc123, unfortunately we did not get it. Will ask professor later. Thanks for help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version