April 29, 2024, 08:15:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gravimetric Analysis for measure of crude oil degradation  (Read 614 times)

Offline hubbcut

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gravimetric Analysis for measure of crude oil degradation
« on: February 19, 2024, 01:49:45 AM »
Hi! I'm a microbiology major currently working on my thesis. I'm conducting a study on how fungal isolates can degrade crude oil. There are a lot of studies that mention using gravimetric analysis to quantify the efficiency of degradation, however, they don't outline how to do this procedure step-by-step. I haven't step foot in a chemistry lab in so long, and am not familiar with how to do it for this particular study. Please help outline how to do this 😅 are there any reagents I need? What glassware will I need?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Gravimetric Analysis for measure of crude oil degradation
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 05:54:06 AM »
I am drawing a blank on this one.

Is it the case of degradation products being gaseous and leaving the sample? Then it would be probably a matter of weighing it several times during the process (with some tricks to account for evaporation, crude oil contains plenty of volatile compounds).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hubbcut

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 06:18:24 AM »

Is it the case of degradation products being gaseous and leaving the sample? Then it would be probably a matter of weighing it several times during the process (with some tricks to account for evaporation, crude oil contains plenty of volatile compounds).
In this case, I am following the methods in this paper (attached the file here). I'm drawing a blank on how to carry out this procedure, as I'm not sure what glassware and steps are involved in detail.

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 08:25:45 AM »

In this case, I am following the methods in this paper (attached the file here). I'm drawing a blank on how to carry out this procedure, as I'm not sure what glassware and steps are involved in detail.

Try this for size...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2015-08/documents/method_1664b_2010.pdf

Equipment from page 7 onwards and process from pg 19 onwards.
You're attempting a version of the so-called HEM process, so you don't have to do anything related to the SGT-HEM. The main different I can see from the method used by the paper's author and EPA1664 is that the solvent was evaporated off using a rotary evaporator set to 60C (hopefully not 600C!).

Good Luck

R

Sponsored Links