April 28, 2024, 07:41:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polyurethane Prepolymer  (Read 722 times)

Offline ManchesterPete

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Polyurethane Prepolymer
« on: February 25, 2024, 01:30:59 PM »
My company uses a prepolymer to rebond granulated polyurethane foam.

The prepolymer is a bought in liquid. The ingredients are DIPHENYLMETHANE-4,4'-DI-ISOCYANATE (30-40%), Polyol (20-30%) and a diluent.

The diluent is likely to be a chlorinated paraffin, however as neither the polyol nor the diluent are listed on the Safety Data Sheet, the supplier is not obliged to detail these ingredients.

As I am supplying a finished product to Germany, I need to detail the basic ingredients. 

I am therefore looking for the CAS numbers for the likeliest polyol and diluent to be used in an MDI binder like this. I would appreciate any *delete me*

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Polyurethane Prepolymer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 01:57:36 PM »
For urethane manufacturing  normaly Polyetherpolyole or Polyesterpolyole are used.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyol

Offline wildfyr

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-10
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 07:13:43 PM »
I would guess PEG or PPG for the polyol but there are no guarantees at all.

The paraffin is also a total guess. You may have to get your hands dirty and pay for a scientist to deformulate it externally if you don't have the internal abilities.

You can't just guess and hope you put the right CAS numbers on the export documents and SDS. You can get your ass sued off doing that. Not the least from REACH.

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:52 AM »
As I am supplying a finished product to Germany, I need to detail the basic ingredients. 

Why?  What rule applies in Germany that do not apply elsewhere?  Hazardous material must be disclosed but non-hazardous one do not need to be.

Also are you sure that the product you buy contains 30-40% MDI as unreacted MDI or has the MDI reacted with the polyol to make an NCO tipped moisture curing PU prepolymer?

Sponsored Links