April 27, 2024, 02:13:58 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: glycoside  (Read 643 times)

Offline auksas

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
glycoside
« on: March 16, 2024, 12:15:55 PM »
what glycoside is the result of the reaction galactose+ ethyl alcohol? Is this reaction possible?

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
Re: glycoside
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2024, 12:35:32 PM »
It is the policy of this forum that you must show your attempt or provide your thoughts before we can help you.  Do you understand what is meant by glycoside?

Offline auksas

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 01:40:36 PM »
It is the policy of this forum that you must show your attempt or provide your thoughts before we can help you.  Do you understand what is meant by glycoside?

Compound which consists of 2 or more molecules of carbohydrates (sugars(it seemed to me that they all were isomers)) and they are bonded through glycosidic bond. I haven't found that alcohol can be bonded in the similar way.

Offline Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +321/-22
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2024, 09:52:46 AM »

Compound which consists of 2 or more molecules of carbohydrates (sugars(it seemed to me that they all were isomers)) and they are bonded through glycosidic bond. I haven't found that alcohol can be bonded in the similar way.
Your definition is incorrect.  A glycoside is an acetal or ketal in which the aldehyde or ketone is derived from a carbohydrate.  Many alcohols can react with many different carbohydrates to make a variety of glycosides.

Sponsored Links