April 28, 2024, 01:32:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A simple question  (Read 610 times)

Offline zehsphyr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A simple question
« on: March 29, 2024, 02:54:08 AM »
Can organic reductions (food) be measured for rate in terms of hertz? If not in a single composition, in some isomorphic composition (with an additive) can I cause a reaction that can be measured in hertz?

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: A simple question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 03:03:53 AM »
Hertz is the unit for measurement of frequency.
Some reaction

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_oscillator

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 05:18:08 AM »
Can organic reductions (food) be measured for rate in terms of hertz? If not in a single composition, in some isomorphic composition (with an additive) can I cause a reaction that can be measured in hertz?

Why do you ask? In general - no, Hz is not a unit to be used for measuring rate. But it is not the first time this question shows up, I suspect there is some misconception behind.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 08:01:09 PM »
Of you are talking density of a liquid, then maybe.  Otherwise, not that I know of.  Density was commonly done with a pycnometer or similar device.  There is a device on the market ( or at least, there was), that was a tube in a kind of shape that you could "ring".  They would measure the ringing frequency empty and with the unknown liquid ( in hertz).  Then with some math, transform that to density. That's the Only thing I'm aware of.

Offline marquis

• Mole Snacks: +35/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2024, 08:18:39 PM »
The only other trick was to take a piezoelectric crystal and get it oscillating.  The frequency of oscillation is controlled by the crystal dimensions.  During a reaction, the crystal can be coated with other materials from the reaction.. This changes the crystals dimensions and therefore, the crystals frequency.  In that case, the change in frequency would be measured in hz.  Sorry, been a while since I read about that.  Hope it's what you need.

Offline zehsphyr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 10:54:31 AM »
Hey thanks for the timely answers. I'm just asking it as a general question. I have a specific way of learning that doesn't lend well to divergence. So I ask the questions in my interest a lot of times.

I was just picturing rate in my mind and trying to resolve what unit is standard vs. what is possible.

Sponsored Links