May 01, 2024, 06:26:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Seeking Help: Predicting Precipitate Formation in a Chemical Reaction  (Read 522 times)

Offline BwBarracuda

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey Chemistry Community,

I'm currently grappling with a problem in my chemistry studies and could really use some guidance. Here's the scenario: I have 10mL of 0.5 mole hydrochloric acid (HCl) and 5mL of a 6-mole sodium chloride (NaCl) solution. I'm trying to determine if a precipitate will form when these two solutions are mixed and how much precipitate it would form mathematically based on the common ion effect and Le Chatelier's principle.

My main questions are:

Will a precipitate form in this reaction?
If not, what adjustments can I make to induce precipitate formation without significantly altering the volumes of the solutions?
I've been trying to work through the stoichiometry and solubility rules, but I'm hitting a roadblock. Any insights, explanations, or step-by-step approaches to solve this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 11:12:40 AM by BwBarracuda »

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
Re: Seeking Help: Predicting Precipitate Formation in a Chemical Reaction
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 11:41:02 AM »
Well, for a start, what will the concentrations of the ions be after you mix the solutions together? Do you think you will get a precipitate from that?

Offline BwBarracuda

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 12:11:55 PM »
The hydrochloric acid would have a concentration of 0.004 moles/0.013L = 0.307692 M and the sodium chloride would have concentration of 0.02 moles /0.013L = 1.53846 M I believe but I'm not sure how I can see if I will get a precipitate from that.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 01:50:00 PM »
Do the concentrations of both ions go up, or down?

Is it possible to get past the solubility product by diluting the solution?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links