April 29, 2024, 09:47:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Name of this structure  (Read 345 times)

Offline jelly12

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Name of this structure
« on: April 16, 2024, 04:09:04 PM »
Hello.

I need help, what is this structure called? Thank you

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Name of this structure
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2024, 04:55:17 PM »
Please read the forum rules, we expect you to show your efforts at answering the question to receive help.

But I will give you some hints: are you looking for a systematic, chemical name, or are you interested what the molecule is?

In the first case - you need to follow IUPAC naming rules. Won't be easy as this is not a trivial one.

In the second case - start by calculating atoms of all elements (C, H, N and O, note that not all H are marked on the formula and you need to understand where to expect them), write the formula as CaHbNcOd - and google, then compare all found isomers with the structure. That's the universal approach (not that it easily works here).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline jelly12

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2024, 05:43:43 PM »
I got to this point. I think that this structure (screenshot) is 2,2'-(Phenylimino)bis(1-phenylethanone).

I really don't know how to add those two -O-CH3 groups to the final answer. I tried following IUPAC naming rules but this is so hard. So i really need help with this final step. I am thinking about it for like 3 hours already.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +168/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 05:49:45 AM »
Try this:

How is a benzene called with one amino group
Ether groups are called "oxy"  as substituent.
Acetophenone derivates with substituent on the methyl group are called Phenacyl-
Now combine everything.

Sponsored Links