Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Electrodes for electrolysis

<< < (2/4) > >>

Donaldson Tan:
The more concentrated anion will discharge preferentially. That's all. The solution becomes increasingly alkali because of residual hydroxide ion formed from discharging the hydrogen cations. Perhaps adding aq zinc(II) chloride to the mixture. Any excess hydroxide will be precipitated as Zinc(II) Hydroxide during the electrolysis process. (just a suggestion)

Scratch-:
 :o, Uhhh.... En Ingles, por favor? lol  :P

Donaldson Tan:
I dont understand the non-english u had posted..

Zinc(II) cation won't be discharged preferentially, at the same, it reacts with hydroxide ion to produce the insoluble zinc(II) hydroxide - a white precipitate.

The chloride anion will contribute to the chloride concentration.

Scratch-:
What I said was "In English, please", I haven’t heard some of the words you just said. I read in a book once that a normal language and the technical language are very different, almost like another language... Anyway, so adding zinc chloride will break down, the zinc will react with the ion and precipitate out because its insoluble and the chlorine will bubble off, is that what you meant?

Donaldson Tan:
Aq Zinc(II) Chloride will remove the residual hydroxide, thus help prevent the discharge of hydroxide ions.

Zinc(II) cation won't be discharged as it's more stable than the hydrogen cation (with reference to their standard electrode potential).

Chlorine will bubble off as usual.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version