April 20, 2024, 09:48:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: McFrankenstein  (Read 10943 times)

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
McFrankenstein
« on: October 22, 2004, 03:11:23 PM »
I just watched Super Size Me the other day and they posted a list of ingredients of their McNuggets, which is actually scarier to a chemist because we can actually understand what's being put in there.

Chicken McNugget:
Chicken, water, salt, modified corn starch, sodium phosphates, chicken broth powder (chicken broth, salt, and natural flavoring (chicken source)), seasoning (vegetable oil, extracts of rosemary, mono, di- and triglycerides, lecithin). Battered and breaded with water, enriched bleached wheat flour (niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, modified corn starch, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dried whey, corn starch. Batter set in vegetable shortening. Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, (may contain partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or sunflower oil and/or corn oil). TBHQ and citric acid added to help preserve freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent.  

Now... what I'm asking is: what the heck is dimethylpolysiloxane doing in there?  I think that's pretty much the silicone used to patch cracks in your home.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 03:11:56 PM by gregpawin »
I've got nothin'

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:McFrankenstein
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 06:45:36 PM »
Yeah, good point.

And why are the nuggets "foaming" anyway?

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 04:28:56 AM »
Hehehe... you know I didn't even notice that.... foaming nuggets?? hahaha
I've got nothin'

Offline kevins

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-6
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 12:53:05 PM »
I think the anti-foaming agent is used to minimize the foam during cook in the oil.
It is so horrible.....but it is the 'product' of chemist.

Sponsored Links